We spend most of our time on our phones, whether doing our workouts, cooking in the kitchen, and even the second we wake up in the morning, this cute little box of technology never seems to leave our side, for better or for worse. It’s just that good at getting things done for us; from checking our emails to keeping us updated on the latest news, it feels like there’s nothing it can’t do. And, for those reasons alone, we must give it enough care and attention to keep it safe.
As a result, choosing the right phone case is a common debate that flows through many smartphone enthusiasts, weighing the trade-offs of aesthetics, durability, protection, and comfort to use. And nine times out of ten, it all crashes down into disarray and is left to personal preference and bias. So, to help rekindle the flames of this debate and keep it at an objective standpoint, we’ll be limiting our prospects to Otterbox phone cases. Specifically, we’ll be putting the Symmetry and Commuter phone case up against each other to determine which one is the best for you.
#1 Otterbox Symmetry
First off, we have the reliable and ever-famous Otterbox Symmetry phone cases. There’s no denying the sleek and stylish look this phone case is trying to achieve because that was the intended goal for the product. For most people, this is their go-to phone case because of its general appeal and how it flows with all kinds of styles you’re trying to rock. Plus, in most use-cases and situations, this phone case answers all your needs for protection without pushing the boundaries of what’s “too much.” It’s seamless and fits snug in your hand. What else can you ask for?
- Fits As One Piece: One of the best features about the Otterbox Symmetry vs. the Commuter lineup is that it fits as one piece. You won’t have to go through the trouble of any form of assembly because all you got to do is slide it on, and you’re good to go. And, if you’re the type that doesn’t like any extra steps and don’t want to be bothered by trivial things, then this feature works best for you.
- More Color Options: Look, while some people don’t care too much about color options and go for the all-safe choice of black, we firmly believe that even something as small as color options are a means of personalized expression. Sure, some people wouldn’t really care whether you’re carrying a rose pink phone case over a bright orange, but enjoying what you own is what matters most. So, if you’re looking for a phone case that vibes with your need to express, then the Otterbox Symmetry has more color options waving at you.
- Lighter Carry Weight: Another important thing to note is its carry weight, and if you’re like us that don’t like the smallest of things weighing you down, then that’s another point for the Symmetry series. In general, these phone cases are much lighter than their Commuter counterparts, which means they are more comfortable to carry around inside your pocket. Plus, it’s less of a hassle when you’re using your phone while standing because it won’t weigh down on your arms.
- Does The Job In Protection: Lastly, with all of those upsides, the one thing that the Otterbox Symmetry series of phone cases falls short of is its ability to protect your phone from falls and sudden impact. Yes, in exchange for the lighter carry weight and being a one-piece fit phone case, it’s not as heavy-duty as we’d like. So, if you’re daily responsibilities often put you at risk of the phone falling, then this might be a massive letdown for you.
#2 Otterbox Commuter
On the other hand, we have our every-sturdy and equally famous Otterbox Commuter series of phone cases. Unlike its Symmetry series counterpart that focuses on being stylish and more on the friendly-fashionable side, the Commuter series focus on toughness and durability. Sure, it would end up sacrificing the many features that the counterpart enjoys, but in exchange, it’s much more drop and fall resistant, and some niche use-cases find it more comfortable. Plus, since rocking a style generally falls to preference and how you rock it, we would even argue that both phone cases look equally great and sexy.
- Two-Piece Case: One of the first conditional good-bad things about the Commuter series is its a two-piece phone system, which means it doesn’t just slide on to your phone, and you call it a day. The first piece is more reminiscent of TPU and a rubber-elastic material that hugs your phone, and the second outer piece is the harder shell that guards and protects it from sudden impact. Yes, there will be extra steps in the process, but the inner piece’s placement adds extra comfort and the outer lip of the second piece means your phone gets additional protection when falling face-flat on the pavement.
- Fewer Color Options: If you’re of the opposite end that doesn’t care much about color options and prefer going with milder and simpler tones, then you can get away with using an Otterbox Commuter phone case. While they’ve added more colors onto their lineup, the Symmetry series still gets more love in the color department, so if you’re lucky enough to have yours in stock, then choose away! At the end of the day, you’re still getting full value, regardless of the phone case’s color.
- On The Heavier Side: Another thing to note about the Commuter series is the heavier carry weight, and because it’s a lot more heavy-duty than the Symmetry counterpart, it’s going to need a lot more oomph. That means it tends to be on the more annoying side if you’re prone to being restless when something heavy is in your pocket. Also, using it while standing might be more energy-taxing for the select few who notice. However, if the weight doesn’t bother you, then it’s not really a downside, right?
- Heavy-Duty Protection: Last but not least, the pride and joy of the Commuter series is the heavy-duty protection it can guarantee. Whether it’s a sudden drop from above while you’re on a ladder, or maybe your arm just nudges a bit too far out and pushes it off the table, you can rest assured knowing there’s less risk of the phone getting any serious damage. So, it’s a much more sensible choice of phone case for the busybody that moves around a lot and has an actual need for that extra level of protection.
Of Course, Never Forget The Basics
With all those reasons said and done, we can’t forget to address the basics. Sure, the features are great and all, but we need to consider the phone case’s functionality and capacity to match our specific lifestyle and current situation. So, here are some things you might want to add to the checklist:
- 1. Phone Case Price
Yes, while both the Commuter and Symmetry series tend to fall in the same price options, you could be lucky enough to score a discount on one. And, if you think the deal is worth it and trumps any extra points of the opposing series, then make the better financial decision!
- 2. Your Functional Lifestyle
If you’re staying at home for most of the day and don’t like going out too much except on occasion or supply runs, then you won’t need the Commuter’s extra protection. The Symmetry series will do you fine. However, if you’re more of the outgoing type or spend your time in places like the gym where many things happen, especially on leg days, we advise going with the Commuter.
Overall, both phone cases are equally good, and it takes one’s own personal preferences to decide which works best for them. And, while we would argue that the Otterbox Commuter series edges out in terms of the primary “protection” capacity of a phone case, that’s not true for all people. So, choose wisely and let the guidelines above you help you make a choice you won’t regret!